Stylen

March 2, 2011

Guest Post: Maintaining Your Wardrobe

I am still in LA for work so my friend and colleague Monchiere Commodore is guest posting today on her top 3 tips for maintaining your wardrobe. And in case you missed it, check out her other guest post on proactive shopping. 

Monchiere: As I continue on this journey of proactive shopping in 2011 I am forced to face an important question "Do I take care of the wardrobe I currently have now?" I must admit that I can once again be more proactive in this area.

Here are a few of my basic wardrobe maintenance tips to help with the longevity of your wardrobe.

Tip 1: Keep a basic supply of items for repair or maintenance for less than $20
A. Needle/thread/safety pins
B. Lint brush..they come scented now for a boost of freshness
C. Shoe polish and cleaner
D. Hate worn out soles? Add high rubber grade soles to your shoes. Many shoe repair places can color match these.


E. Suit brushes help remove food which can attract bugs which can damage clothes. Dry cleaning chemicals can be harsh on fabrics and this should be done once every 3 months to once yearly for suits. Brushing after each wear can allow you to go longer between cleaning.
F. Wooden hangers-help maintain the shape of your clothes.

{photo credit}
G. Plastic cutting board-helps you get those neat department folds that we love.
H. Black dye. Are you surprised?  You can dye your clothes after ever 10 washes. And if there are other items you don't like, try dying it black before getting rid of it.

Before
After
Tip 2: Schedule time weekly to repair or maintain your wardrobe

Tip 3: Find a great tailor
Need help finding a great tailor? Check out a men's suit or department store for recommendations.

Also, for quick hem fixes try hem tape. This adhesive holds fabric together with the the heat from an iron. Not only is it cheap, ($1-2) quick, and easy, it also serves many uses such as temporary hems, repairing loose hems, and tailoring or taking in loose fitting clothes. Try "super" for heavy fabrics and "regular" for lighter fabrics. 

 You can also try double sided fashion tape which does not require an iron.

Remember my mantra: "take care of what you have so you can have what you want."

What are some of your favorite tips or items for maintaining your wardrobe?


Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

21 Comments:

Josie said...

Thank you so much for the tips! I never thought about dying things when I get tired of them; that's genius.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Great tips! Finding a great tailor is one I must really get onto.

stylenuggets said...

I have dyed a top that looked better in fuchsia than in white. Never knew about the heat 'n bond tape. Sounds easy enough to do

k said...

I love these tips, I'm all about proactive shopping this year and only buying things I love...so taking care of them would be good :)

RAW said...

Great tips. Thank you for sharing.

Tanvi said...

Great tips!!!

Alleen said...

Great tips on the worn out shoes! I have several pair I love and just hate to part with but now I don't have to, THANKS! xx

hogger and co. said...

Fantastic tips; the first five I've done and it really has helped my wardrobe look better and makes me feel good. Never done the black dye; but great idea.

Diana Mieczan said...

Those are such a great tips! Thanks and I really need to find a great tailor. Enjoy your day
Kisses

Ps: I’m hosting an EmersonMade GIVEAWAY today! Just in time for spring:)

bollywoodstylediaries said...

Great post! Next stop is Amazon.com to buy the heat and bond tape and double-sided tape.

BenchesnChandeliers said...

helpful tips :)

www.benchesandchandeliers.com

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I definitely need to upgrade to wood hangers!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

I am so excited, I just got that fashion tape as a hostess gift for the Oscar party I had :) I feel so...glamorous! XO

Lilacandgrey said...

I have been wanting to go out and buy ALL wooden hangers!

Annie said...

Hope you're enjoying LA!! Such great tips! I need to get some of that hem tape - so cool.
Hope you have a great weekend, Naina! xo

Oh to Be a Muse said...

i definitely need to find a great tailor and some wooden hangers!

Sara Bentley said...

Great tips! I actually accidentally stumbled upon the dyeing trick when I spilled red wine on a white and blue striped shirt... I dyed the whole thing blue and yet it retained the stripes because the pigment is deeper where the blue stripes already where! I got rid of the red wine stain and BONUS I get complimented on it all the time :))

little luxury list said...

Fabulous tips! I've started to resole many pairs of shoes to extend their life. I should really think about dying some items as well to reinvent them.

Pratishtha Durga said...

These are such fabulous tips. I especially love the re-dye your clothes tip. Thanks a ton for sharing...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What's up, this weekend is fastidious for me, as this time i am reading this impressive educational piece of writing here at my home.

my website :: erotic massage London
Feel free to surf my homepage just stumbled upon this sensual massage london

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds