Stylen

September 28, 2010

Going bananas and going Barneys

Over the weekend I skimmed through my Cooking Light magazine and the cover recipe was peanut butter banana bread. Also featured in the magazine were banana-chocolate walnut bread, bananas foster bread, and basic banana bread.  Reading about these delicious recipes and seeing the gorgeous pictures inspired me to make my mom's banana bread recipe.  And even though I love my mom's recipe, next time I might try the basic banana bread recipe because it looks a wee bit healthier. 

{Mom's banana bread }
Recipe
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
2 tsp vanilla
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour 2 (9 x 5 ) loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in nuts and set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce, bananas, pineapple with juice, and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients stirring just until moistened
5. Spoon batter in pans.
6. Bake for 60 minutes or until done.
7. Remove pans from oven and cool 10 min before removing loaves from pans.
8. Put loaves on wire racks and cool completely.
-Freezes well and is easy to make
-I also substituted chocolate chips for the nuts because Ariyana has a nut allergy

On another note it is Boston Fashion Week  and there are so many fun events taking place. Last week I had the opportunity to participate in Fashion Now and tonight there are a couple of fun events at Barneys and a local boutique called Looc.  Considering I spent much of my weekend attending kids birthday parties and eating too much pizza and cake, this will be a nice change of pace.  If you live in the area definitely check out the schedule of events.

Copley Catwalk – Barneys New York Fashion Show
and Boston Common Cocktail Party
Copley Place - Center Court,
100 Huntington Avenue, Boston MA
RSVP required. rsvp@bostoncommon-magazine.com
Please write 'Barneys New York' in subject line.
Tuesday, September 28
Or call 617.266.3804. Space is limited.

Emily Muller Fall 2010 Presentation
The debut collection of Boston designer Emily Muller, full of stories left to be discovered.
Looc Boutique
12 Union Park Street, Boston MA
8-10pm
RSVP required: emilymuller@newbrahmin.com

Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

42 Comments:

20 YORK STREET said...

It's Fashion Week here too next month! Exciting stuff, eh?

Xox,

ML

Unknown said...

PRINTING that recipe out now! - i made it once and was AWESOME - tried again and DISASTER! - hopefully this will be tghe awesome loaf!

PS - PASS on about my first GIVE-AWAY - $45 worth of goodiness!!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Collette Osuna said...

I get that magazine too.....love all the recipes!!

Enter my F21 Giftcard Giveaway!!
Statements in Fashion Blog

torrie said...

I LOVE banana bread- and this looks really good!! I've never heard of it with pineapple (and applesauce!) added in....YUM!

I'm saving this... I'll let you know when I make it:).

coolkids said...

mmm love homemade bread! What did you give for the gifts? Fashion week sounds fun!

Nikki said...

yum those recipes sound so delicious!!
I'm always a fan of banana breads!


xx
Nikki

Rachna said...

Wait - Mom puts pineapple in her banana bread?! Seriously? How did I never know that!? (probably b/c I just eat it and never actually bake it!)

STYLE'N said...

@Rachna-Yes I think it's the "secret" ingredient!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious :)

GB said...

Pineapple? That sounds wonderful! I have to try this version soon!

Taylor said...

YUMMMMM!!! I love banana bread!!! Great recipe I need to try it!

stylenuggets said...

Not too fond of bananas but this bread looks yummy. Love the collage you made in the previous post

MelissaNibbles said...

The shows sound like a good time. I'm going to try to make it to one!

Diana Mieczan said...

OMG I would die for a piece of that banana bread right now,sweetie
I am so making in this weekend:)
Hugs my dear
How is your week so far?

Valerie said...

I get cooking light too and thought about making the Banana Bread recipe last week! This one sounds and looks delicious too! I love all the fall recipes.

xo
Valerie

Lilacandgrey said...

OMG! Yum yum yum!! Perfect compliment to my morning coffee ;P

Lila said...

The banana bread looks so yummy.

What a fun week planned. Enjoy

Caroline said...

I love warm banana bread with melted butter on top. And with a fresh cup of coffee PERFECTION! Enjoy your day! xo

Tanvi said...

It looks scrumptious and I am hungry now!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Sounds delicious! We were just talking about making banana bread this evening! Made delicious zucchini bread last week and now I'm onto banana. Definitely going to give this one a shot. Thanks for sharing!

And have fun at fashion week! Sounds like you have a lot of fun things on tap :) xoxo

Jess said...

Yuuuum - thanks for sharing!!

Chas said...

That looks and sounds delicious! Banana bread is one of my favourites!

Geeta said...

Fashion shows are an awesome idea for a girls night out. Never been to one though. Keep me posted if you come across any in Dallas TX.

Banana walnut bread is one of my fav. Will try out this recipe.

Samantha said...

That looks so yummy!! Banana chocolate walnut bread sounds great, too. I have my great-grandmother's classic banana bread and I love it so much..I cant bring myself to make a healthier version!

-Samantha
http://sincerelysamantha.com

stephanie. said...

I wish I had a piece of that to eat with my glass of cab right now. =) Yum. 'Course it's not on my "diet."

Josie said...

Oh, I SO wish that I could pop by Barney's! And that bread looks so tasty.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Anthea said...

Looks delicious! I need to start baking!

Anthea,
Embracing Style

Emilie said...

Looks delicious!!!!!!

Annie said...

I love banana bread!! This recipe looks SO mouth watering.. Thanks Naina! xo

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'll eat banana anything...but especially banana bread!

bollywoodstylediaries said...

I have never baked banana bread with pineapple!! really curious..one of my closet friend is moving into my neighborhood and she loves banana bread. I am goin to bake this one for her on Sat. Will email you over the weekend on how it turns out..

btw, i tried ur shrimp and coriander recipe few weeks back and everyone loved it. I grilled it on a pan instead of BBQ..I am doing it tonite for dinner:-)

Prutha Raithatha said...

THATS AWESOME...BOSTON FASHION WEEK!! put up pics of the events pls...would love to see

Becca [Free Honey] said...

First off, the banana bread sounds delicious. I always want to make it, but forget to get bananas in advance to let them ripen. I'm terribly impatient, so this leads to me rarely actually following through with making banana bread. Oops.

Also, did you go to the Emily Muller show. I really wanted to check it out, but I saw a screening of the Halston documentary instead. All of a sudden Boston is overrun with fashion events!! Not complaining, I love it!

k said...

haha, enjoy your grown up time :)

Diana Mieczan said...

Ps: I am hosting a great GIVEAWAY today :) Hope you will join in :)!!!

Kisses,sweetie

Unknown said...

Sounds like so much fun! Right down to the banana bread..yum!

Lisa Griffin said...

yumyum baked goods and i'm convinced peanut butter makes most anything better! how were the events??
www.indramaticfashion.com

Isabel said...

that recipe sounds delicious!

style-haus said...

i've always been a huge fan of banana bread and this recipe is the perfect reason to try making my own! looks deeeelish

http://style-haus.blogspot.com/

J. said...

Homemade banana bread is the best! I bet your mom's is AMAZING!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

I'm sure the recipe is delish! Your photo makes it look amazing. Love the runner/cloth the plate is on! Style'n :)

Amy said...

yum!!!!

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds