Stylen

December 30, 2010

Guest Post: Are You A Proactive Shopper?

Guest Post from my good friend and colleague Monchiere’ Commodore:

Monchiere’ Commodore currently is a national trainer for a major Biotech company.  She has been in the fashion industry, particularly as a model, for over 10 years.  Her modeling career has included modeling for various department stores such as Saks Fifth Ave and Dillard’s for an array of designers including Chanel, Escada, Tory Burch, Dianne von Furstenberg and St. John.   She has also made appearances on Wheel of Fortune and various other television programs as well. Monchiere has a passion for wardrobe maintenance and organization with her mantra being “take care of what you have and so you can have what you want”.  She is married with one child and resides in New Orleans, LA.


Monchiere's thoughts on being a proactive shopper in 2011:

As we get ready to close out 2010 and bring in the New Year 2011, it’s the perfect time for an end of year closet cleaning and reflection.  We have all seen tips on how to determine what items to keep in ours closets. Such include the need for the items to have been worn at least once in 2 yrs (unless it’s classics or specialty pieces), be in good or repairable condition, and it must be comfortable, well fitting or part of your wardrobe personality.  But I would also like for you to reflect on your shopping in 2010.  What were your best purchases?  Any regrets (like those cute shoes you may never wear because of a really high heel)?
Reflections like these are all important as we prepare for the New Year.  My goal in 2011 is to be a proactive shopper.  How about the idea of planning out most of my 2011 shopping?  I’ve started by asking myself “What are my most important items I need to buy for 2011?” …which for me is a black handbag and pumps.   Honestly evaluating what’s missing in my closet then developing a plan on how best to shop for these items. Reaching out to my favorite stores to see when they will have their largest sales on my future purchases.  Or maybe it’s shopping out of season for some of these new additions. 
Like many of you I have to be wise with how I spend my resources (time/money/etc) in this upcoming year.  Living on a budget (for both shopping and living expenses) and really sticking to it is critical in this economy.  Shopping smart means buying the best quality my money can buy without any buyers’ remorse.  No remorse in 2011.   Also by shopping smarter I can actually get more. 
So join me in 2011 as I aim to not only enjoy my shopping experience (which I really love to shop) but also get some great additions to my wardrobe.  Let’s be the best proactive shoppers in 2011.  
 
I’ve been eying these Jimmy Choos!  Still looking for the perfect black bag if anyone has any suggestions.

 

Monchiere-thank you for sharing your goals for 2011.   I must admit I like this concept of being a proactive shopper.  I will certainly plan more and be mindful and smart about the items I purchase in 2011.  

What are your thoughts? Will you be a proactive shopper in 2011?

Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

19 Comments:

ching said...

i agree. living on a budget is definitely more practical.. we can't always have everything.

MelissaNibbles said...

I don't have any other choice than to live on a budget. That means shopping at Target and Kohls. I wish I could afford Jimmy Choos! It's hard out there for a broke lady like me!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I think the lessons we've learned from this economy will help us even when things turn around!

little luxury list said...

Great tips. I am really going to think about what I need for next year (holiday sales are too tempting though!)

Baby Shopaholic said...

Great Post! I like the idea of focusing on what is important. I would like a pair of Louboutins!

Elle Sees said...

thanks for the tips and she is GORGEOUS.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Such fabulous tips! It's definitely something that I need to be more mindful about and plan on doing so in the coming year.

And thanks again for running such a wonderful contest! I'm thrilled to have won :)

Happy New Year, sweetie! xoxo

Unknown said...

Love the tips, and she's super cute!

I already am trying to be smart about shopping, and maybe spend a little more on a GOOD staple item than buy all of these random purchases, although I'll still have fun, I'll have a more well rounded closet:-0

Happy New Year hun!

Noelani said...

Couldn't agree more with the need to do more "smart" shopping in 2011. This tops my New Years list of resolutions. I plan on starting with a new black bag....the basic of basics.

MY REPUBLIC OF FASHION said...

Really great tips! I was thinking the same myself. I want more quality in my wardrobe. Love those choo's. :)SArahD

Anonymous said...

I really like the post, and enjoy hearing from a guest reviewer. Monchiere is spot on, in thought, however I find it difficult to implement. Is anyone else thinking about joining an "Rue La La, Hautelook.com, Gilt.com Shoppers Anonymous Club?" I am having a difficult time thinking before hitting the purchase button!!!! Thanks for your inspiring posts! Chris

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I truly enjoyed being a guest today. I know the concept of proactive shopping is not the easiest to implement. Especially when something is on sale...and I love a good sale. I just wanted to share that this year (2010) I purchased 3 out of 4 major items that were on my list and on sale. It is possible. Be encouraged! Monchiere C.

Jess said...

Great tips and great post!

Happy New Year!

xo

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

Awesome post! I love the part about shopping smart, means I can actually get more...and who doesn't want that?! I can't wait to see how you'll help guide us through 2011 a little more stylishly and effortlessly :) XO, Kelly

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

I think this is a really great resolution. I do want to be a more proactive shopper in the coming year, but to be honest it wasn't a goal or idea I had until I read this, so thanks!! Happy New Year Naina!

xo, Ashley

Lee Oliveira said...

A proactive shopper. What a great idea and something I need to focus more on in the future. It was great finding you this year Naina and thanks for your last comment and support. Happy new year.

LOx

jemina said...

Amazing Post!!!
Happy New Year to you dear

Wishing you Love & Happiness in 2011

XOXO
Jemina

20 YORK STREET said...

I have been trying to organize my closet though unfortunately, I have been lounging on the couch and drinking hot cocoa more than anything! =)

Love this post and have bookmarked it!

besos,

ML
Happy, Happy New Year!

20 YORK STREET

torrie said...

I could not agree more with this post. This is one area that I have tried very hard to improve in these past few months. I want to take it a step further, like suggested her, by purchasing more out of season items (discounted).

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds