Stylen

May 4, 2011

Movie Review: Something Borrowed


On Monday night a friend and I attended the advance screening of the movie Something Borrowed starring Kate Hudson, Ginnifer Goodwin, John Krasinski and Colin Egglesfield.  This romantic comedy, based on the best selling novel by Emily Giffin, is about two best friends who want to marry the same man.

Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) is an unhappy, single, talented attorney who drinks too much on her 30th birthday and wakes up to find herself in bed with Dex (Colin Egglesfield), the man who she has had a crush on since law school.  But Dex happens to be her best friend Darcy's (Kate Hudson) fiancĂ©.  Relationships are tested while a long-time trusted friend, Ethan (John Krasinski), stands by Rachel with a secret of his own.

Even though I ended up sitting up front in the third row and left with a stiff neck I will try not to be bias in my review. Basically this romantic comedy is slightly predictable, runs a bit long, and in my opinion is not a "must see" movie. There are definitely funny moments and for the most part I enjoyed watching Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson on screen. But I would recommend forgoing the $10 movie theater ticket and perhaps consider renting this movie on a Friday night when you're in the mood to curl up on the couch and watch a chick flick with your girlfriends.  Oh and I wouldn't subject your husbands and boyfriends to this movie unless of course you are intentionally trying to ruin your relationship! The movie opens up nationwide on Friday May 6th. 

Have you read the book? Are you planning to catch this movie in the theaters?





By far the best scene in the movie is when Kate and Ginnifer break it down to Salt n'Pepa's Push It.

And a BIG thank you for your continued votes at Circle of Moms.  I cannot thank you enough for all your support and votes.  Please vote HERE today and tomorrow and help me stay in the Top 25!!!

Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

32 Comments:

nomo wino daph said...

Ahhhhh thanks foe your review! Glad to hear your thoughts.

Hope your week is fab!

xo

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I'm planning on seeing this one and am glad to have read your review. I'm always kind of wary with books made into movies. I kind of hate it if they change everything around.

Josie said...

I've read the sequel but not this one -- sounds like something for me to see in June at the two-dollar theater for sure.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Ann said...

I think your review is right on.
Too many romantic comedy these days that we should really be discerning on what to watch in theaters.
I think I'll wait for Crazy Stupid LOve...
really looking forward to watching Ryan Gosling and Steve Carell ♥

melissanibbles said...

Just the picture of the two women fake singing makes me want to barf. No thanks.

k said...

i've read that a long time ago! i kinda want to see it a lot :)

Unknown said...

i linked you up babes! - and i would rent this movie - but i wanna see bridesmaids - that looks funnny!

annelise said...

I'm usually a huge Kate Hudson fan but her latest few movies haven't done much for me (haven't even seen the most recent few) so I don't think I'll be making the effort to see this.

I haven't read the book and even though I love a good chick-lit, I'm resisting reading this one for some reason!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

thanks for the review! i haven't read this book or any of emily giffen's but heard they are good/entertaining. i LOVE john k so i will def see this as you suggest- a girl's night On Demand :)

PS: I voted again today for you!!

Tanvi said...

I was gonna go on Friday with my husband ... now after your review I will not torture him! :) Thanks!!! I have read the book and thought movie will be equally cute! :((

♡ from © tanvii.com
Apothica Giveaway

Aracely @ Mama Fashion Files said...

Thanks for your review! I love a chick flick and thought about going to see it with my sister. It's always nice to have a girls day or night out and I love Kate Hudson..although I was a bit surprised to see her new baby bump and to hear she's engaged to this guy.. who is he??

Jess said...

Thanks for the review! It's always nice to know whether or not a movie is a "must see" before I waste my time and $$!

Off to go vote again! ;)

samantha ramage said...

this movie and the new bridesmaids movie look completely predictable-- definitely rent-worthy but that's about it!

xo
sami

Maria said...

Can't wait to watch this movie. BTW just voted for you again.

love jenny xoxo said...

I did read the book and I liked it! I definitely want to see the movie, but I'll probably wait and rent it. Thanks for the review!

XOXO

Hogger + Co. said...

I'm not dying to see this movie, and haven't read the book. Also, is Ginnifer sporting a wig in the film? Looks so much like a wig and I'm assuming it is since she has the short 'do in real life. I do want to see Bridesmaids, though! :)

torrie said...

Okay, so definitely a rental, huh?

Thanks for letting us know!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Aw too bad! I totally wanted to see this and Bridesmaids...I hate when movies don't really go past the commercials :(

Thanks for the heads up so I don;t waste my money!

bollywoodstylediaries said...

So not seeing it after ur review!! thanks!! The movie I really want to see - Bridesmaid!!

coolkids said...

It looks cute but I will wait til it comes out on video.:)

Isabel said...

i voted :) and i cant wait to see this movie!

Isabel said...

ps i only go on tuedays when its 4.75 so dont feel bad about seeing a silly rom-com. lol

dress up files said...

Yeah I was planning to wait and netflix it. I do love a good chick flick!

jiye
www.pearlsandgreentea.com

Vanda said...

Hi there!!! To see...or not to see?...
I like Kate Hudson, so I have a dilema now!
Thanks for passing by my ''baby'' blog!!!I will be visiting you too!!
Vanda

Diana Mieczan said...

That is such a good review and yes, Im planning to see it with my friends! Have a fantastic Thursday, darling

erica said...

Thanks for the review! Maybe i`ll just wait until it's out in redbox to get it.

xo

Anonymous said...

How long is the movie?

Mimi said...

thank you so much for the review, naina! i think i'll just wait til the dvd comes out. :)

p.s. good luck with the circle of moms vote! i'll vote for you again! :)

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Alison Kinsey said...

The book is actually amazing. So I feel like it will be tough for the movie to top, but I'm excited to see it nonetheless!
The book is seriously a page turner though and Giffin is a great author. If you ever have a chance to, def check out some of her books!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

I loved the book! Just actually read it on the plane back from LA. I'm planning on seeing the movie but I figured that the movie probably won't be as good as the book. That's how it always goes though, isn't it? :)

Katrina said...

Love. This book. Check out my post about it...

babicmama.blogspot.com

pharmacy said...

What a nonsense! This movie is the worst I've ever seen in my whole life.

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds