Stylen

October 22, 2010

My style'n tips (and yours!)

Earlier this week all of us received some great fashion tips from Harper Bazaar's Avril Graham on transitioning outfits from day to night.  Well last Saturday I needed to create and outfit that I could transition from meeting friends at the Fort Point Open Art Fall Open Studios to a casual lunch at one of our favorite spots- Flour and then on to some playtime with our daughter at The Boston Children's Museum. 


Here's what I wore:
1. Aviator sunglasses and necklace-Banana Republic
2. Black studded handbag-Deux Lux purchased at Ku De Ta (one of my favorite local boutiques) 
3. Blouse-H&M
4. Cardigan-Banana Republic
5. Belt-Anthropologie
6. Jeans-Citizens of Humanity Avedon Slick Skinny Legging Jeans
7. Black flat boots-Burberry

I wanted to look stylish and sophisticated for the art exhibits yet comfortable and casual enough to walk around town and hang out at the museum.

My strategy:
1. Carry a handbag large enough to carry all my stuff including my camera and scarf and Ariyana's snacks and cardigan.
2. Wear comfortable shoes without a high heel so I can walk and "play" at the museum
3. Layer clothing since we were going to be inside and outside for several hours
4. Add some fun accessories such as a necklace and belt so that I am style'n!
 
As mentioned above we all received some great style tips from Avril Graham on transitioning your look from day to night and also earlier this month Today Show's Bobbie Thomas gave us lots of amazing fashion tips as well. (here)  I also provided a few ways I transitioned my look since I attended the Swarovski event right after work on Tuesday.  But I also received some really creative and informative comments yesterday from all of you about the various ways you transition your look from day to night and I wanted to share them with you.

Reader's fashion tips on transitioning looks from day to night:
1. Add red lipstick and sparkly earrings. Melissa
2. Do a smoky eye. Josie
3. Kohl eyeliner, shoes, and jewelry. Gagan
4. More make-up and more "blingy" itemsSonali
5. Let down the hair, touch up make-up, and remove a layer of clothing. Torrie
6. Add bold jewelry, add dramatic make-up, and change your shoes. Samantha
7. Ponytails during the day and hair loose at night. Michelle
8. Add jewelry that sparkles such as big pearl and diamond cocktail ring, and gold bangles. Annelise
9. Let down your hair and put on some high heels. Tanvi
10. Add a pair of heels, eyeliner, extra mascara, and extra jewelry. Valerie
11. Change shoes. Audrey
12. Exchange a blazer for a bomber jacket, skinny denim for a wide leg flare, remove a knee high sleek heel boot for a platform shoe and keep it simple with a t -shirt and some fun jewelry beneath. Carrie
13. The right bag is important-a clutch screams evening plus some sparkly accessories as well. Connie
14. Add accessories and make clothing a bit more revealing at night. Elle 

Have a great weekend!

Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

36 Comments:

Tanvi said...

Love this post! List of great tips and you look so smart! :)

Caroline said...

I love all these tips! And that outfit is PERFECT! Love the sunglasses and the purse! xo

Samantha said...

Love it! What a great roundup of advice : ) Your outfit looks perfect for those different events throughout the day. I love the pop of color from your belt and necklace!

-Samantha
http://sincerelysamantha.com

Anonymous said...

So many great tips!

Little Paper Trees said...

so glad i just found your blog. I'm from Boston but now live in Sydney - love to hear about about bean town!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

You look fantastic in those boots!

I love all the tips...I would never have thought bomber jacket...but I bet it would look great :)

I should probably print and paste this post on the inside of my closet somewhere...

Happy Friday!

MelissaNibbles said...

Great tips. Everyone loves to let their hair down! Have a great weekend Naina!

GB said...

Love the tips...and layering is so important in transitioning weather as well.

We LOVED the boston children's museum----we used to make a couple of trips each summer just to visit the museum and eat at our fav. desi restaurant--dakshin!

Chas said...

Great tips! I love your boots, they are to die for! Awesome mustard belt!

noone said...

great tips, yeah I always let my hair loose at night! :D and love how you pair your bag and those boots together, it looks fab

coolkids said...

great post Naina! Love this look. You pull off the belted cardi wonderfully. Have a super weekend!

bollywoodstylediaries said...

love the tips!!..looks like everyone adds jewelry and makeup for evening looks. The clutch idea is also nice becoz it is true clutch always screams evening..Love ur look. I think adding the belt is what makes this outfit stand out..

torrie said...

Love that you listed these out. As I'm digging into fashion more these past few months, I'm realizing just how much your blog (and Valerie's) is helping me. May sound crazy, but if you set it aside for a bit, it is hard to jump back in- especially when you're trying to shop in huge stores, with limited time!

So, as I told Valerie today, thank you.

Meredith said...

I love the cardigan and the belt and the shirt, okay, I love it all!!! Very cute!!!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

LOVE your belt! Did you enjoy the open studios? I have been a few times...so much fun items to see/find! :)

Valerie said...

Naina, this is one of my favorite posts ever. I love hearing what other girls do to transition from day to night. Your tips are amazing and I love that yellow Anthro belt. Thanks for adding me to your list! Hope you have a great weekend.

xo
Valerie

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Wonderful look! It really does work perfectly for both occasions. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Josie said...

You look gorgeous and I love, LOVE how you've compiled all of the tips -- what a great thing to do!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Anna Walker said...

I Love your boots and aviators! :)
Perfect outfit! And I love the tips! I sure need them somedays!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

annelise said...

It's all in the jewels!! Love this post, Naina. Such good tips form everyone.

style-haus said...

this ensemble is the perfect transitional outfit. it's chic, comfortable and ideal for a stylish woman on the go!

http://style-haus.blogspot.com

Stacey said...

You look tre's chic and love the advice round up!

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

i LOVE this outfit! it is so well put-together. all of the colors seem so soft, neutral, and preppy chic. you did a great job, and thanks for the tips!

XO,
SWEATshirt DRESSshirt

Becca [Free Honey] said...

Again, you dressed so well for a day of odds and ends. I think those flat boots are so key, they look put together yet they're comfortable for walking around and, in your case, playing! I used to love going to Children's Museums when I was a kid - hope Ariyana had a great time!

stylenuggets said...

I loved seeing how you incorporatd the tips in your outfit.

Audrey Allure said...

Love the outfit, and I also love all of the readers' tips!

Diana Mieczan said...

Let me just say that I adore the belt-cardi combination. Such a great tips,sweetie and I totally adore your fashion posts:)
Hope you are relaxing today,sweetie
Kisses and see you soon

Lee Oliveira said...

with tips like that.. u will make any women feel fab
ps.. Obsessed with the simplicity of your outfit and looking amazing
LOx

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

I love your outfit!! You look so chic and beautiful. I think your strategy about planning your outfit based on your needs for the day is so smart.

xoxo, Ashley

Jess said...

Love how you included tips from all of your readers - great idea and great advice!

I just saw your post about Ann Taylor Loft - I'm not sure how long this sale is going to last, but it is still happening as of now (Sunday). And I'm not sure if the sale is available in-store, but I bet you could figure that out by calling your local store. Good luck and hope you find some great looks for your upcoming business trip!

Anna Katrina said...

i love the pop of yellow that your belt gives off


stop by sometime<3
http://passportglamour.blogspot.com

k said...

I wish I looked as good as this at my museum trip this weekend :)

Nikki said...

You have amazing clothes Naina. Love your look!
Hope you had a great weekend!


xx
Nikki

Annie said...

Great tips!! Especially love your boots & bag here!
Hope you had a fabulous weekend! xo

o said...

More great tips! Thank you for sharing! Love your stylish yet comfortable look! Your necklace is gorgeous, btw:) Thank you again for ur sweet comment on my last post:) Have a great week!

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

this free bird said...

Naina thank you so much for including my thoughts on this list!! That is so kind. I loved reading everyone's ideas all compiled on one list.

I have to give some thought to your pink sequined skirt...that thing is beautiful!!

xoxo,
Carrie

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds