Stylen

October 28, 2010

Weeknight Dinner: Shrimp Tikka Masala

Did you know that Chicken Tikka Masala is the single most popular Indian dish in the world? It is so popular in London my cousins tell me they can go to an English Pub for a beer and Chicken Tikka Masala.

Well last night I made a home made variation of this popular dish with shrimp.  While I try and be mostly vegetarian these days (I call myself a "flexitarian"), occasionally I will make fish and shrimp.  One of my go to recipes is cilantro lime shrimp but this shrimp masala recipe is a new favorite because of the intensity of flavors, the ease of making it, and most importantly my 2 year old highly approves of this dish!  Also the best thing about this recipe is that you can use this masala as the base for any vegetable, chicken, fish, or tofu.   And if you double up this recipe you can freeze the remainder and just take it out when you need it.  Keep in mind there are so many different ways to make a basic masala sauce and every time I do it the recipe changes.  Since it is not like baking where you need exact measurements feel free to experiment and adjust the recipe according to your personal taste.

Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion thinly sliced
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon fresh garlic
1-2 teaspoons garam masala 
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 lb Shrimp (about 20), peeled and deveined
1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes 
1/4 cup greek yogurt
Optional-1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro 
Optional-2 curry leaves
Optional-green chili

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a shallow pan and add onions and let onions cook for about 10 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, garam masala, sugar, salt, tumeric, red chili powder, green chili (optional) and tomato paste.  Keep stirring and add some water if the mixture becomes too thick.  After another 5 minutes or so add the crushed tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. 
2. Blend the mixture with a hand mixer, blender, or food processor so the consistency of the mixture becomes smooth and even. You don't have to do this step but if you skip it just make sure to use finely diced onions.
3. Put the mixture back in the pan, add the shrimp, and cook until shrimp are gently cooked through. (3-5 min)
4. Remove from heat, add yogurt and the curry leaves (optional).  Finish off by garnishing with fresh cilantro. (optional)

What is your favorite "go to" meal during the week?



Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

39 Comments:

Caroline said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!! Every bit of it!! And the photo of the spices gorgeous!!! SO enjoying your blog! xo

bollywoodstylediaries said...

Looks yummy..I love shrimp but have never tried it with tikka masala gravy. Will give it a try.. My favorite "go to" meal during the week is miso soup with tofu and green onions and edamame on the side.

Sara Lee Bentley said...

I love this dish and have to try this version! I think my favorite weekday meal is grilled salmon with a side of grilled veggies -- yeah... I love grilled!

Josie said...

Mmmm, this looks SO good! I'm not normally a big shrimp fan but this looks super tasty.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Anna Walker said...

Yummmmy! Now I am hungry!
Seriously, hungry....
:)

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious!

this free bird said...

This looks and sounds delicious Naina. We go to a local Indian place for Chicken Tikka Masala - but I would love to try your variation!! Thanks so much for sharing.

xoxo,
Carrie
ps-so behind on blog reading. thx for bearing w/me!!

k said...

That sounds delish!

Diana Mieczan said...

I really like Tikka Masala and your recipe sounds very yummy:) Have a great day,sweetie

Noelani said...

Gorgeous photos and dish. I have been too intimidated to try tikka masala in the past, but I promise to revisit. Your post has inspired me!

Bridget said...

i have never had it- thats just wrong!

ching said...

oh yum!

Chas said...

Yum! That looks incredible Naina!

Rachna said...

Your pictures turned out really well!! Good job :-)(Obviously, the actual recipe looks yummy too!)

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

yummy! i love the pic of all your spices :) I usually make pasta or a salad.

erica said...

that looks really good. That picture of all your spices is amazing!

xo

Annie said...

I love that picture of the spices!

Lilacandgrey said...

Never had Shrimp...I usually get veggie Tikka Masala..OBSESSED with it, and garlic nan...YUM!
<3Cara
Fabulous Nan Lawson Giveaway going on @ Lilac and Grey!

MelissaNibbles said...

I've never had this because I don't like spicy foods. My bf says it's not spicy, but he lies. Is it spicy?

Nikki said...

Naina, these look delicious!!! I love shrimp and I would love to try these recipe!


xx
Nikki

Isabel said...

ahh this sounds so delicious!

Sonja said...

Mmmm!!! THat made me so hungry!!! I just had breakfast, but I would GLADLY eat a bowl of Tikka Masala now too! haha. :o)
Also , haha I can't believe you dreaded Halloween hehehe, that's so cute / crazyyy!! hehe It's so much fun! But yeah finding the right costume is a challage, I concur! hehe

coolkids said...

never had Tikka Masala. Looks tasty. In the spring/summer months we grill out most nights. Since I work full time we do love the crock pot or a casserole i can prepare ahead of time!

Marissa said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love masala anything!

Samantha said...

YUM! That looks delicious!! Unfortunately my weekday go-tos all involve pasta..I need to get out of that rut!

-Samantha
http://sincerelysamantha.com

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

This looks like a great recipe!

Pizza, chicken, tacos and pasta are all easy weekday recipes I fall back on.

torrie said...

I don't know if I've shared this yet, but learning Indian dishes (or cooking I should say) is a Major goal. I absolutely love the flavors and the healthiness as well as the simplicity.

That said, this looks absolutely delicious and I will try it, for sure (and of course, let you know how it turns out)!

noone said...

that looks really good, I love shrimp. I always eat a bunch when I go to chinese restaurant buffets lol

Valerie said...

I have to say this is one of my favorite dishes of all time too. Your shrimp version is making my mouth water. I've never tried making this at home, but I might have to branch out and make your recipe. Thanks!

xo
Valerie

GB said...

Oooh that looks awesome Naina! deeelish! I like "flexitarian"!! (One of our friends claims he eats "see foods"--he eats any food he sees!-hyuk hyuk!)sorry for the dumb joke, I'm in one of my crazy moods here!

miss annie said...

this looks so delicious! think I´ll try this soon ;)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh how yummy! I didn't know it was THAT popular. I order curries usually.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Looks amazing! I'd love to give it a shot. I had no idea that it was the most popular Indian dish. So interesting.

Hope you're having a great day :)

Geeta said...

I would guessed Tandoor Chicken as the most popular one. May be not.

A recipe that gets an approval from a 2 year old is definitely a keeper.

Piya said...

i love chicken tikka masala. this shrimp looks soooo delish, i must try this recipe. our go to meal during the week is usually stir fried veggies with grilled tilapia & rice. easy to make, yummy, & healthy too..

Signe said...

This looks sooo tasty!
Have a lovely weekend :)

Tanvi said...

The pictures have come out so well. If I ate Shrimp [or even cooked] I would try this ... but I do make Chicken Tikka Masala for my husband which looks quite similar [dont know about the taste though ;)]

style-haus said...

thx for sharing this recipe! you don't know how many masala products from the stores i've tried and none seem to compare to the masala dishes you get at the restaurants. i'm def trying this at home

http://style-haus.blogspot.com/

Michele said...

this sounds so good, I am going to try it, I love indian food!

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds