Stylen

June 30, 2010

Power Smoothie


Several of my friends and family have asked me how I make my smoothie.  So I decided to put the recipe here for those interested.  My typical routine is to have a morning cup of coffee, hit the gym, and then come back and have the smoothie. It give me energy, fills me up until the afternoon, and provides a serious daily dose of fruit. Drinking one of these is a wonderful way to start the day.

Recipe (Two servings)
1/4 cup walnuts
2 Tbsp almonds
1 Tbsp flax seed
1 cup assortment of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries
4-5 strawberries
1 banana
1/4 cup Fage or Chobani vanilla low fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup skim milk
5-6 cubes of ice

Add all ingredients into the blender, mix, and enjoy!

Additional Notes
-I always use blueberries in my smoothie because they are so good for you and contain the most amount of antioxidants. But all the other fruits and berries vary depending on what I have in the fridge. If we have watermelon, grapes, apples, pears, or mangoes on hand I may throw those into the mix as well.

-Frozen fruit is just as good to use as fresh fruit. In the winter when the berries are out of season we go to  Costco or Trader Joe's and stock up on frozen mango's, blueberries, and strawberries.

-I tried to make accurate measurements for this recipe but keep in mind you don't have to measure anything. Just add ingredients based on your personal preference.

-If you use vanilla yogurt it will make the smoothie taste a bit sweeter than using plain yogurt. I prefer this especially when I am using more an assortment of berries that are not sweet. Also, I always use Greek yogurt because it contains more protein than regular non fat yogurt.

Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

11 Comments:

Tanvi said...

This looks delicious and so well presented! :)

Amy said...

yum! i always wonder if people eat breakfast before going to the gym in the morning... i usually need something in my stomach!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

yum, looks so refreshing!

as for the food i make, i eat it! i had a friend over and between her, my boyfriend and myself, we finished off all of the 12 pretzels. so so good!

Rachna said...

I think I always use too much ice!! Looks very yummy - will try this tomorrow morning!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

Wow those glasses you served your smoothie in look wonderful!!!
And I LOVE that you added nuts to your smoothie - what a great idea :)

J. said...

Ohh I need to remember this! THis is a great way to punch up my current recipe :)

http://jammer10am.blogspot.com/

Sovina said...

hey looks yummy..i would may be add 2 strawberries..as per my taste..delicious..

http://weddingonthecards.blogspot.com/

Elle Sees said...

i need this! looks delish.

Anonymous said...

I've got to get a blender so I can make my own smoothies! This looks fantastic.

Bombchell said...

looks delicious

bollywoodstylediaries said...

I just wrote to Tanvii that I needed some healthy, smoothie/juice recipes and I cant believe u posted it today!!
btw, my "Flour recipes" book arrived yesterday just in time for Spring break. Next week, I am going to be baking, baking:-)

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds