Stylen

July 27, 2010

Gazpacho with Avocado Relish

This weekend was so hot  that it was nice to enjoy this refreshing cool summer soup.  I was going to use this recipe from the August issue of Cooking Light but I really didn't want to make the gazpacho with shrimp.  After browsing through some other recipes I found this recipe for Gazpacho with Shrimp and Avocado Relish. I decided to go with this one because the avocado relish looked so good.   So, I used this recipe but modified by leaving out the shrimp and I added some zucchini instead. This is a healthy and delicious weeknight meal and we even had leftovers for lunch yesterday.

Do you have a favorite meal for a hot summer day?

{ingredients for the soup}

{the avocado relish}

{the final product served with some garlic bread}
Ingredients
Soup:
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp          ( I used zucchini and omitted the shrimp)
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons chopped red onion
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce                                             (any hot sauce is ok)
1 pound plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove ( I used 2)
1 (11.5-ounce) can low-sodium vegetable juice        (you may need to add more than this)
Relish:
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 ripe peeled avocado, diced
Preparation
1. To prepare soup, cook shrimp in boiling water 2 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse under cold water; coarsely chop shrimp.
2. Combine 3/4 cup bell pepper and next 9 ingredients (through vegetable juice) in a blender; process until smooth. Stir in shrimp. (I like gazpacho a bit chunky so I didn't blend it very long)
3. To prepare relish, combine 1/4 cup bell pepper and remaining ingredients. Top soup with relish.

From Cooking Light, AUGUST 2009

Tweet This


Share/Bookmark

31 Comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Gazpacho with shrimp and avocado relish sounds really lovely...We love eating gazpacho in summer too but this one sounds so yummy...I will have to try it!
We try to eat a lot of salads with sea food over the summer:)

Kisses,sweetie

k said...

i need a blender!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of avocado relish before. It sounds yummy and I could dip chips in the leftovers :)

Anonymous said...

This looks goooood! Haven't had gazpacho in years. I love avocado!

STYLE'N said...

Melissa-what a great idea. We had leftovers yesterday but there is still more soup left. I think having them with tortilla chips is a great idea. Thanks!!!

Anthea said...

Looks good! My favourite meal on a hot Summer's day? Can't think of one now as I am in the middle of Winter!

Anthea,
Embracing Style

this free bird said...

I have to make this!!

I love to eat Watermelon and Heirloom Tomato Salad on hot days...wish we had a couple hot days :(

xoxo,
Carrie

Tayebug said...

Thanks for the recipe. It looks so yummy.

The Mommy said...

Yum!!That relish looks amazing:)

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I've never tried this kind of recipe. Looks great!

Annie said...

Ha, I see what you mean - great minds think alike ;) It's just the perfect summer soup! Love the addition of avocado - we definitely would have thrown that in if we had it around. This looks and sounds delicious! Nice work!

Lynzy said...

I love love love gazpacho but am slightly nervous to make it. You make it sounds easy!
xo Lynzy
http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great summer recipe!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Oh I've been looking for a great gazpacho recipe. Thanks for sharing!!! :)

glamour. monster. said...

i actually love gazpacho so much, ive never made it before but id love to try this recipe one day. thank you so much for sharing! xo
btw, we're following back :)

www.twogirlsonecloset.blogspot.com

Tanvi said...

This looks delicious. I am going to try is sooon :) I made Tomato Bisque last night. Didnt take any pictures. Was too tired and lazy! :)

Closet Fashionista said...

Ooh, that looks tasty! But I probably woulnd't like it XD
http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

yum, this looks great! as for the food festival, you simply buy a ticket to get in and then get all the food you want...so yes, i ate it all :)

Ms. Emmy N said...

Wow, that looks so delicious! I love avacado and shrimp. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

erika sorocco said...

Gah, I have never tasted this before but it looks amazing!! :)

bollywoodstylediaries said...

This looks good and healthy - will try to it out this weekend. I love salads during summer and rich, creamy, chocolate shakes:-)

Valerie said...

This look amazing! The pictures are so vivid, I feel like I can practically taste it. I'll have to try making it sometime. Thanks for the recipe!

xo
Valerie

Pretty Zesty said...

so good, and especially in this heat!


ps I have a giveaway going. stop by!

http://tinyurl.com/2vollfw

Unknown said...

This looks delicious. I love anything veggie in the summer. I haven't done a food post in a while, but this has definitely inspired me to get off my bum and get cooking! Great blog.

Come check mine out sometime...and my current headband giveaway :-)

alison (semi-fab lane) said...

i've never tried gazbacho before, i'm a little weary about the cold soup idea. but this looks delicious! maybe i'll try this recipe out one day.

Lisa Griffin said...

wow this looks incredible! i love fish tacos when its hot!
www.indramaticfashion.com

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing!

Josie said...

Mmmmm, this looks so tasty! I love easting fresh fruit straight out of the refrigerator on hot days.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

torrie said...

looks very, very tasty. thank you for sharing the recipe!!!

style-haus said...

omgoodness this looks so refreshing and yummaaayyy! love all the vibrant colors of this dish. one of my fave summertime dishes is caprese salad...it's so simple but deeelish!

http://style-haus.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh to die and go to heaven for! Looks so good!!

Di

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds